Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Some Alliant dissertations include the full text of tests in their appendices. On library homepage, click Alliant Theses/Dissertations, then use the pull-down menu on the left to select Tests. Type in the test you’re looking for and click Search:
Clicking the title link retrieves a list of dissertations that used that test. Ways to refine your search: 1) arrange your results list by date-published, using the System Sorted pull-down menu to select Reverse Year and 2) limit to LA dissertations only, using the View Entire Collection pull-down and click Search.
The Alliant Library has some actual tests available for checkout. To see a complete list, go to Advanced Search and type the test you want in the search box. You can search by location; and by Material Type, select TEST/KIT. To see the most recently published edition, use the limiter Sort: sorted by date.
For example, this search retrieves the LA library’s test collection. Because these tests are primarily for use by students in assessment courses, you will need a letter from one of your dissertation committee members in order to borrow one from the LA Library. Check with your home library for more information on checking out test kits.
Google and Google Scholar
Sometimes you can find the full text of a test free online. However, unless the source clearly states it is copyright-free and in the public domain, you must contact the author(s) for permission. Even if such is stated, it is still wise to contact the author(s) to learn about changes or updates to the instrument.
Social-Personality Psychology Questionnaire Instrument Compendium
Social-Personality Psychology Questionnaire Instrument Compendium provides links to web pages where (a) a test’s full text is shown, and (b) was put on the web by its author, thus ensuring that the instrument was intended for the public domain.
APA on Testing and Assessment
American Psychological Association does not provide tests but does have a good Web page titled Research in Action: Testing and Assessment.
ETS Test Link is a searchable database of information about 25,000 tests from the early 1900s to the present. Brief descriptions are free but the full text of tests is not. Some are available for purchase from ETS; for others, links are provided to the publishers.
Collections of Published Tests
These books contain the full text of some tests.
- Fischer, J., Corcoran, K., & Corcoran, K. (2007). Measures for clinical practice and research: A sourcebook. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Volume 1: Couples, Families, and Children; Volume 2: Adults. Check availability!
- Touliatos, J., Perlmutter, B. F., & Straus, M. A. (2001). Handbook of family measurement techniques. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications. Volume 3: Family Relations; Marital Relations; Parent-Child Relations; Family Adjustment, Health, and Well-Being; Family Problems. Check availability!
- Rush, A. J., First, M. B., & Blacker, D. (2008). Handbook of psychiatric measures. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Pub. CD-ROM contains full-text of tests in PDF. Check availability!
- Antony, M. M., Orsillo, S. M., & Roemer, L. (2001). Practitioner's guide to empirically based measures of anxiety. AABT clinical assessment series. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum. Check availability!
- Nezu, A. M. (2000). Practitioner's guide to empirically based measures of depression. AABT clinical assessment series. New York: Kluwer Academic / Plenum. Check availability!
- McDowell, I. (2006). Measuring health : a guide to rating scales and questionnaires / Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press. Check availability!
- Anderson, D. C. (2007). Assessing the human-animal bond : a compendium of actual measures / West Lafayette, Ind. : Purdue University Press. Check availability!
- Allison, D. B., Baskin, M.L. (2009). Handbook of assessment methods for eating behaviors and weight-related problems : measures, theory, and research / Los Angeles : Sage Publications. Check availability!
Comprehensive Handbook of Psychological Assessment, 4 Volume Set by
Call Number: BF 176 C654 2004
Publication Date: 2003-09-22
Dr. Hersen has gathered in this unprecedented 4-volume work the leading resaerchers and clinicians in psychological assessment. This groundbreaking reference presents essential information on the four major classes of psychological assessment instruments, including intelligence/neuropsychological, personality (both objective and projective), behavioral, and industrial/organizational. Each volume contains information on the history of the specific branch of testing, the range of tests, theoretical considerations, psychometric concerns, range of populations, cross-cultural factors, use with people with disabilities, legal/ethical considerations, computerization, and future development. Individual chapters consider these topics as they relate to specific instruments. As a result these volumes are indispensable for clincians practicing in these areas as well as library collections.